RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As an Engineering Technologist at RBR, you will you will have the opportunity to work with an awesome group of R&D gurus in the areas of firmware, electronics, mechanical, software, systems and sensor engineering along with oceanographers. The right person will be a hands-on problem solver who has the ability to work independently, take responsibility, and produce high quality work. You will be directly responsible for building prototypes and helping to evaluate new oceanography instruments that are being designed by RBR. As part of small team of technical experts, you must be dedicated, an effective communicator, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~70 people. We’ve been recognized for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Build prototype/preproduction hardware required to support product development;
- Assembling prototype PCB and mechanical assemblies;
- Design, build, test and document prototype/preproduction cabling and wiring harnesses;
- Participate in the design and testing of experimental instruments and equipment;
- Test and troubleshoot prototype/preproduction systems and subsystems for function and performance and to verify test procedures;
- Collect and analyze test data to assist engineering staff in preparing technical reports;
- Assist in generating engineering documentation for production assembly and test procedures;
- Provide first-line support to our Production/Assembly Team for electronics and mechanical related issues and to provide second-line support in the resolution of RBR customer issues;
- Participate in component and tool selection/procurement for prototype development;
- College graduate in Electronics Technologist program or equivalent;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in manufacturing or R&D labs;
- Proficiency in building, testing and troubleshooting electronic hardware;
- Strong soldering skills, both with iron and hot-air, comfortable hand-soldering soldering 0402 pitch components and QFN packages down to 0.4mm pitch;
- Operational knowledge of various types of electronic test equipment;
- Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of dimensioning and tolerancing of mechanical drawings.
- Experience in computerized data acquisition equipment and software;
- Familiarity with electro-mechanical assembly, wiring and connectors as well as mechanical assemblies;
- Familiarity with workmanship standards including PCB assembly, repair and inspection;
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written, to deal effectively with different departments across the company.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a cross-functional team.
- Ability to work in an interrupt-driven environment, managing multiple projects and changing priorities.
- Experience in using ECAD software for electronic circuits design (preferred experience with Altium);
- Experience in using MCAD software for mechanical drawings and design (preferred experience with SolidWorks);
- Experience working in a small company environment;
- Experience working in an Agile development process, and familiar with Jira/Confluence.
You must prepare a cover letter that explains why you want to work at RBR and what you can uniquely contribute to the team. Please submit both through our careers website here. In addition, as part of our screening process, we require you to complete a personality profile questionnaire using this link. http://www.profileperformancesystem.com/survey.html?SL=61472
For more information about RBR, visit our website at www.rbr-global.com.