Seeds Canada is a newly formed organization created from the amalgamation of the Canadian Plant Technology Agency (CPTA), the Commercial Seed Analysts Association of Canada (CSAAC), the Canadian Seed Institute (CSI) and the Canadian Seed Trade Association (CSTA). Seeds Canada will be the leading voice and resource for Canada’s seed sector.
Seeds Canada will develop and advocate for policies that assist its members to remain competitive in both domestic and international markets as well as encourage collaboration, innovation, equal opportunity, continued investment, quality assurance testing and trade in the seed sector.
Seeds Canada is currently recruiting its first Executive Director to lead the amalgamated entity and help bring its members success and growth in Canada and around the world.
We’re searching for a proven strategic and operational leader who will drive the organization’s evolution and growth, ensuring exceptional value to its members and clients through exceptional service delivery, equality, diversity and inclusivity along with continuous opportunities for growth and innovation.
Responsibilities will include:
Leadership and Operations Management
- Provides progressive, visionary leadership of the organization in line with the needs of the seed community, members, staff and other stakeholders.
- Uphold and promote the Values and Mission of Seeds Canada at all times
- Formulate plans and strategies, for approval by the Board, to provide services and value that meet existing and likely future requirements of the seed and member community.
- Ensure that such plans and strategies are formulated and implemented to ensure the long-term sustainability of Seeds Canada.
- Maintain an appropriate team-based structure for the management of the organization and delivery of objectives.
- Understand and influence the external environment in which Seeds Canada operates, particularly with the regard to government, regulatory bodies and collaborative projects.
- Accountable and responsible for effective financial management, planning and monitoring.
- Ensure that regular financial forecasts are produced and information provided to the Seeds Canada Board as and when requested and that financial regulations and procedures are complied with.
- Ensure compliance with all legal and professional requirements in relation to the financial management of Seeds Canada.
- Ensure a safe and respectful workplace within Seeds Canada and compliance with all health and safety regulations
- Ensure compliance with all regulations pertaining to delivery of Seeds Canada Services
- Encourage staff to represent Seeds Canada at conferences and meetings with partners and members to continuously grow the reputation of Seeds Canada in the agriculture community.
- Drive the organization and development of people policies, including maintenance and development of policies on recruitment, performance, training and development.
Communications and Member Management
- Serve as chief spokesperson for Seeds Canada.
- Oversees and approves the development and implementation of all internal and external communication materials.
- Responsible for the planning and delivery of programs and initiatives to improve member value and continued growth.
- Maintain strong relationships with industry partners, acting as negotiator, liaison and advocate for members and their needs.
- Develop, implement and monitor the annual plans for the organization together with programs and projects to meet objectives as set by the Board.
- Assist the Board with the development of by-laws, policies, and procedures for the governance of the organization and direct staff’s implementation of those policies.
- Assist the Board with the establishment and membership of standing committees and taskforces of the Board.
- Meet regularly with the Seeds Canada Board to provide timely updates and analysis of organization activities and financial performance.
- Keeps the Board informed through established mechanisms to monitor and report performance progress on objectives, address problems where objectives are not being met, and advise on risks and potential risks.
The Ideal Candidate Profile
- Strategic thinker who is able to assess options and forge a clear direction based on the trends and conditions of the environment and the vision and values of the organization.
- Strong business and financial acumen, with experience driving organizations’ accountability and efficiency through re-structuring and systematic measurement and management.
- Experience in managing the complexity and change management resulting from the merger, acquisition or amalgamation of organizations.
- Recognized within the crop sector based on their experience and understanding of the industry and their contribution and partnership within the cropping and agricultural science sectors.
- Proven experience and ability to navigate regulations, including lobbying and influencing government regulatory bodies in an effort to contribute and support modernization of the industry.
- Strong record of creating innovative member development initiatives, both traditional and non-traditional, that have generated increased revenue for an organization.
- Capacity to draw upon extensive personal and professional networks to build impactful relationships with partners, members and government.
- An outstanding communicator and influencer, with the ability to communicate in both English and French a strong asset.
- Intentional about Diversity, Inclusion and creating a sense of belongingness for the staff, members and partners.
- Proven success working with a Board of Directors leading a non-government organization or association.
- Passionate about research, innovation, and growth within the agriculture sector.
- High integrity and transparency with the proven ability to lead and innovate and inspire within uncertain times.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to our executive recruitment partner, the Business Sherpa Group, by emailing both to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.