RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As a Firmware Engineer at RBR, you will have the opportunity to work with an awesome group of R&D gurus in the areas of firmware, electronics, mechanical, software, systems and sensor engineering along with oceanographers. The Firmware Engineer will be a hands-on problem solver who has the ability to work independently, take responsibility and produce high quality software. As part of a small team of technical experts, you must be dedicated, an effective communicator, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~70 people. We’ve been recognised for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Define and support the design and development of embedded firmware applications;
- Implement and adhere to software development methodologies;
- Implement and maintain software versioning and revision control;
- Analyze trade-offs in the system design to meet conflicting requirements;
- Own and drive the execution end to end while maintaining schedule compliance;
- Keep abreast of industry changes in software engineering technologies, processes and disciplines;
- Translate design specifications into system designs and implementation, participate in design and code reviews;
- Contribute your expertise to overall software design architecture and feature design;
- Work with hardware and software groups to translate requirements into working designs;
- Participate in concept development for new products and projects.
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or the equivalent;
- Preferred to have at least three years of firmware work experience in the following disciplines:
- Developing software in C and assembly;
- Troubleshooting and debugging using JTAG tools, IDE, logic analyzer and oscilloscope;
- Knowledge of protocol such as RS232, SPI, I2C, USB and WiFi;
- Low power micro-controllers, STM32 ARM Cortex, and MSP430 preferred;
- Coding for a pre-emptive RTOS for micro-controllers such as FreeRTOS.
- The ability to read, understand, and annotate electronic schematics including digital, mixed signal, and analog devices;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Operate well in a high-pace innovative environment.
- Ability to work in an interrupt-driven environment, managing multiple projects and changing priorities;
- Experience working in an Agile development process, and familiar with Jira/Confluence.
To apply, you must prepare a cover letter that explains why you want to work at RBR and what you can uniquely contribute to the team. Please submit both through our careers website here. In addition, as part of our screening process, we require you to complete a personality profile questionnaire using this link: http://www.profileperformancesystem.com/survey.html?SL=61472
For more information about RBR, visit our website at www.rbr-global.com.