Paracel Laboratories Ltd. is a full-service environmental and Indoor Air Quality laboratory. Our main laboratory facilities are located in Ottawa and are supported by an environmental lab in Hamilton and microbiology and asbestos laboratories in Mississauga. Additional service depots are located in Kingston, London, Niagara, Windsor, and Richmond Hill. We support a broad spectrum of projects for professional clients from across Canada and around the world. Our client base primarily consists of major environmental consultants, all levels of government and industrial manufacturers located predominantly in Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara, Eastern and Southwestern Ontario.
Paracel Laboratories (Hamilton, Ontario) is looking to fill a Senior Lab Analyst role, in our Inorganic and Metals department. The Senior Analyst will be responsible for coordinating the daily analytical tasks, events and reporting within that department. This includes mentoring, monitoring and training Junior and Intermediate analysts, coordinating analysts' time and priorities, as well as ensuring that established methods and QA/QC protocols are followed. The Senior Analyst will be the primary instrument analyst on the laboratory ICP-MSs and will also be involved with the running of various others instrument platforms.
The Senior Analyst also addresses any complex technical issues, ensures QA/QC compliance is maintained, investigates non-conformances, and assists in research projects under the supervision of the Laboratory Director or the Laboratory Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Principle analyst on Laboratory ICP-MS, and also function as secondary analyst and trainer/support for a variety of other instrument platforms in the inorganics department.
- Oversees and trains all Intermediate and Junior Analysts within a discrete section of laboratory operations (Inorganic and Metals).
- Ensures that all company authorized policies and procedures are followed within the group responsible, in conjunction with the Laboratory Manager, for meeting analysis turnaround times and ensuring that analytical holding times are met.
- Responsible for allocating personnel to specific tasks within the inorganics section.
- Responsible for monitoring the workload status within the inorganics section.
- Investigates and resolves technical issues in their department with the assistance of the Lab Director/Lab Manager.
- Coordinates supplies acquisition with the Lab Manager.
- Assists in scientific research, including carrying out experimental testing procedures, setup and optimization of analytical instruments for the purpose of scientific research, providing comments and suggestions to further research projects.
- Participates in staff reviews.
- Complies with company QA/QC and Health & Safety policies and procedures and addresses any issues pertaining to the department.
- Performs other tasks as assigned or dictated by position.
Skills and Qualifications
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (or related field), with a minimum of 4-years related work experience.
- Experience within the environmental testing sector is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in ICP-MS method development and instrument operation/troubleshooting.
- Proven computer skills including MS office (Word and Excel), and ICP-MS software suites (Masshunter an asset).
- Thorough understanding of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) an asset.
- Superior mathematical ability and advanced problem solving/analytical skills.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and balancing workload to meet tight deadlines.
- Superb attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to effectively follow/interpret work instructions, methods and procedures.
- High degree of manual dexterity.
- Highly reliable and deadline-driven.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Control (QC) processes and procedures.
- Proven knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs).
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter in your application, and direct to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Paracel Laboratories is an equal-opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and all efforts to provide the appropriate accommodation will be put into place.