RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As a Controller at RBR, you will have the opportunity to work within a dynamic and innovative environment of a product manufacturing export company where you’ll be able to be able to flex your financial muscles and provide meaningful financial expertise across the organization. The Controller will take a hands-on approach to problem solving and will take responsibility to produce high quality, reliable financial outputs from the system. As part of a small team, you must be an effective communicator, a leader, and thrive using technology as a part of getting the job done.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~65 people. We’ve been recognised for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Ensure financial information, statements, and systems are accurate, complete and in compliance with GAAP standards;
- Establish, maintain and continuously improve financial policy, procedures, and workflow to maximize efficiency while integrating the use of technology as appropriate;
- Review financial data and prepare month end, quarterly and annual reporting, including working with a public accounting firm on year-end engagement;
- Oversee all day-to-day finance operations, lead and manage staff with functional responsibility for accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing and payroll;
- Have a hands-on approach on all finance-related matters;
- Monitor and manage cash position and forecast, provide recommendations on hedging;
- Analyze financials and identify areas for potential profitability improvements;
- Analyze, reconcile and adjust financial transactions as required;
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including withholding, Income Tax, Goods and Services Tax payments;
- Build and maintain a strong level of knowledge and training relative to the company software systems and act as a resource to other staff;
- Maximize optimal performance of staff by developing and delivering annual performance reviews, staff development plans, and goal setting;
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to direct reports;
- Assist the Director of Finance in reporting on and improving key performance indicators;
- Actively participate in cross-functional projects and initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or another related field and professional accounting designation;
- 3+ years of private company experience, or 5+ years post-designation at a public accounting firm;
- Excellent attention to detail, sound judgement, logical decision making, and a hands-on approach;
- Strong aptitude for technology and computing skills with experience leveraging a wide variety of integrated software – experience with Salesforce and QuickBooks considered an asset;
- Experience with ERP systems considered an asset;
- Ability to roll up your sleeves to get the job done, while juggling a wide variety of responsibility;
- Confidence and initiative to work independently, take charge and see projects that impact various departments through to their completion;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Customer service oriented with a positive attitude and pleasant demeanour;
- Flexible and embraces change naturally in a fast moving environment.
To apply, you must prepare a cover letter that explains why you want to work at RBR and what you can uniquely contribute to the team. In addition, as part of our screening process, we require you to complete a personality profile questionnaire using this link.
For more information about RBR, visit our website.