The Eclipse Foundation is one of the world’s largest open source software foundations, with a proven track record of enabling developer-focused open source innovation earned over nearly 2 decades. The Eclipse Foundation is home to more than 400 high impact projects and collaborations including the Eclipse IDE, Adoptium, Software Defined Vehicle, MicroProfile, IoT and Jakarta EE. Supported by over 350 members globally, the Eclipse Foundation has an established international reach and reputation.
With millions of users, tens of millions of downloads annually, and billions of dollars in shared investment, the Eclipse IDE is one of the most widely used programming language environments in the world. The Eclipse® IDE Working Group was formed to ensure the continued sustainability, integrity, evolution and adoption of the Eclipse IDE suite of products and related technologies. In particular, it was formed to provide governance, guidance, and funding for the communities that support the delivery of the Eclipse Foundation’s flagship “Eclipse IDE'' products. Eclipse IDE working group members include EclipseSource, IBM, Kichwa Coders, Renesas, Bosch, SAP, Sigasi, Vector, WMware, Yatta, among others.
If you are curious and are looking for an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of the Eclipse IDE and Platform for programmers everywhere, this is the job for you! You’ll be working directly with a vibrant and growing community of organizations and open source software engineers and architects, taking the Eclipse IDE into the future.
The Eclipse IDE Program Manager will collaborate with working group members and the Steering Committee to define and execute the global strategy for the Eclipse IDE at the Eclipse Foundation. The ideal candidate will have prior experience building and nurturing open source or other communities, along with a background with programming language environment embedded technologies, including IDEs. The successful candidate will join the Foundation team and work alongside program & community managers for other major initiatives, and serve as the primary point of contact between the Eclipse IDE community and the Eclipse Foundation team.
- This is a remote position that can be located anywhere.
- Work within the Eclipse IDE community to manage and coordinate with members, facilitating the successful delivery of working group priorities
- Engage directly with developers and business leaders within the Eclipse IDE community to understand, coordinate and facilitate working group objectives
- Collaborate with the Eclipse Foundation team, including IT, infrastructure, security and marketing in support of the Eclipse IDE and related projects
- Foster collaboration and community growth by organizing hackathons, code camps, webinars, and committer meetups
- Play an active role in Eclipse IDE’s interactions with external projects, developers and foundations
- Actively recruit companies, including adopters to join the Eclipse IDE working group
- Recruit and engage committers to work on the top technical priorities of the working group
- Define, implement, and promote programs that encourage open collaboration within the Eclipse IDE ecosystem and the industry at large; and that raise awareness about Eclipse IDE
- Work with the community to support project releases and associated deliverables including website, marketplace, documentation, marketing materials, testimonials and social media content
- Build close working relationships with companies and individuals within the Eclipse IDE community
- Monitor the health of the Eclipse IDE related projects and ecosystem, and report to key stakeholders on a regular basis
- Travel to related conferences and events to represent the working group and the Foundation
Desired Skills And Experience
- Industry experience working with programming language environment development and technologies including supporting tools
- A solid understanding of open source communities, community development, collaboration models and technologies;
- Experience with participating in open source projects (either as a committer, maintainer, contributor, or community manager) is a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience writing high quality materials
- Demonstrated ability to work within a community to guide and complete projects/initiatives in a timely manner
- Demonstrated success in engaging with and influencing developers and/or line of business and technical leaders
- Public speaking experience, both in person and virtual settings
- Fluent in English with proven proficiency of working in an English business environment
- Existing network from a diverse set of communities and social media platforms including Twitter, Mastodon and LinkedIn
If this sounds like the right fit for you, follow this link to apply via LinkedIn.
We offer highly competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. For more information about the Eclipse Foundation, please visit our website at eclipse.org.
The Eclipse Foundation respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities, and is committed to providing accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout any recruitment process, once made aware of a need for accommodation. If you require any special accommodation or support during the recruitment process, please indicate in your email to us.