Sport Systems was established in 1978, when the first gooseneck-style basketball system appeared in Ottawa. We’ve spent the past three decades working hard to reach the top. We work closely with school boards, Colleges and Universities, municipal governments, operators of sports facilities, pro sports teams and other clients in the international athletic equipment market. We strive to provide our clients with extensive industry product knowledge, high-quality Canadian-made equipment and expert customer service that’s based on always acting with integrity, always keeping a positive attitude and always staying committed to our values.
About the Job
Our team and business are growing in 2021, and we have an immediate opening for a Purchasing Specialist at our head office in Almonte, just outside of Ottawa. In this position you'll play a critical role in the success of our business by developing purchasing strategies, working with suppliers, and buying products and supplies.
As an ideal candidate for this role, you're analytical and highly organized, with deep experience in purchasing and logistics. You’re a natural negotiator and relationship-builder, always searching for cost savings and efficiencies. You have the drive and flexibility to thrive in our fast-paced environment, and above all, you love to learn and expand your skills.
- Develop purchasing strategies and identify buying trends to keep the business profitable
- Conduct self-guided research to become familiar with what products are available as well as their costs and benefits
- Search available products to find the best combination of quality, price, and delivery
- Negotiate policies and contracts with various suppliers
- Manage deliveries to confirm compliance with contracts
- Monitor stock levels and verify purchase requisitions
- Identify damaged or defective goods and work out an alternative solution with the supplier
- Keep detailed records and prepare and submit necessary reports
- Maintain professional relationships with all key suppliers
- Attend various conferences, supplier plants, and vendor interviews to stay informed about changes and advancements in the industry
- 4+ years of experience in a purchasing role
- Post-secondary education in business, accounting, supply chain management, or a related field
- Skilled and experienced in the use of MRP systems
- Strong communication, negotiation, and persuasion skills
- Analytical and mathematical, with the ability to compare prices and quantities and evaluate vendor contract terms
- Ability to evaluate market conditions and suppliers
- Keen eye for detail
- Willingness to make quick and thoughtful decisions on behalf of the business
- Effective relationship-building skills
- CPP or related professional certification is an asset
How to Apply
Interested applicants should prepare a resume and cover letter to submit through this link.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sport Systems respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection processes.