Join Us in Building Companies That Change the World, Literally
RWDI Ventures isn’t a typical corporate innovation hub.
Our mission is to create new companies that transform how people, companies, and the planet interact. We’re helping architects design more sustainable communities. We’re helping businesses understand the risks, opportunities, and challenges of weather. We’re helping families be safe in the face of increasing climate change.
Orbital Stack, our first portfolio company, is growing and looking to expand its team. Orbital Stack makes rapid insight software for the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction industry informing the design of high-performance buildings and cities. We are combining technology from computational fluid dynamics, machine learning, data visualization, and high-performance computing to make this possible.
You will be focused on helping us make Orbital Stack generally available.
We are already operating in private beta and serving early adopters. We have revenue, and a client base of world-class firms. By helping us build new features and scale the product, you will help us reach a much wider market.
- As Orbital Stack grows increasingly independent of the Ventures team, you will help to develop the culture and practices of this new team. You will be involved in technical decisions and hiring.
- The successful candidate will report to the General Manager of Orbital Stack, working in tight collaboration Development Manager of RWDI Ventures within our Innovations Group. This team works primarily in the North American Eastern time zone out of our HQ in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Remote applicants are welcome, though you will be expected to visit on occasion. Once it becomes safe to congregate at the office, our current team will spend at least some of their time there, and there’s no substitute for in-person team building, whiteboarding, etc.
- You will be expected to set the direction for the team, working closely with leadership to define the technical roadmap and strategy as well as the practices of the team
- Our work is rich and varied. Product design, technical whiteboarding sessions, prototyping and validating, and building production software are all on the table.
- You will have an opportunity to contribute to a wide variety different challenges, including web application development, cloud automation for high performance computing tasks, various automation tasks involving 3D CAD models and 3D visual output, and state of the art scientific code involving climate models, CFD, and machine learning.
- We’re a small, focused team that collectively owns our processes, the product, and the daily success of our customer.
Your Work Style
Ventures is not for everybody. We’re looking for a specific type of adventurer:
- You have strong software development skills, but your science and engineering background are important too. We work closely with domain experts in RWDI, as well as the team in Ventures, and having an ability to understand the basic science underpinning our products is helpful.
- Customer success and happiness are in your blood, and you are keen to get your hands dirty to help them get the most of the product, and to learn how they tick.
- You’re passionate about creating products and companies that make the world safer, more resilient and more efficient. You have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- You’re comfortable with the early stages of product development that can be messy and change quickly. As we move deeper into development, you know when it’s time to harden platforms and optimize code.
- You believe in automated testing, continuous delivery, and modern best practices, but you also understand that learning is the most important thing in early-stage product development. You’re comfortable balancing these two things.
- You love to learn, and this shows in your professional and personal life.
- You can work independently, but you understand that the best results come from an efficiently operating team. You have been through this before and do what needs to be done to keep the team fed and operating at their best.
Your Past Experience
We’re obsessed with learning, but there are some things you’ve already learned in past roles that you can bring to the team.
- With several years of professional software development experience under your belt, you are very comfortable with building software and managing teams. You have taken on leadership roles at previous jobs. Mentorship is part of what motivates you.
- Experience with web application development, as well as cloud-centric workflows and DevOps are critical to this role.
- Experience with numerical simulation and high-performance computing would be strong assets.
- You have worked in a small, dynamic team or at an early-stage startup, maybe even one that you founded. You’re comfortable with rapid change and have developed skills for embracing it. Rapid prototyping, learning, iterating, and even throwing code away excite you.
- You are equally comfortable working on architecture and writing code.
- You’re a great communicator.
- Your peers consider you a leader, and you lead by example.
About RWDI Ventures
For over 45 years, RWDI has been helping build some of the most sophisticated structures in the world. With expertise in climate engineering and building performance, RWDI is the trusted expert industry relies on to design skyscrapers, sports stadiums, and complex industrial projects. RWDI Ventures was created to leverage that expertise in bold and new ways.
Please apply to this position through the LinkedIn posting, which you can access here. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
BUSINESS SHERPA GROUP
Strategic and operational professionals providing flexible consulting services to SMEs.